The Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Specialist reports to the Product Stewardship Global Manager (or designate), within the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) group. The Safety Data Sheet Specialist supports the implementation and maintenance of the NuSil Product Stewardship Program (PSP) with a primary focus on development of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and hazard labeling for products and prototypes.
The Safety Data Sheet Specialist maintains EHS master data for all substances in the ERP system, generates and updates all Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for products manufactured by the Company, and acts as a technical resource to the business on issues related to hazard communication and the classification of hazardous materials. This position manages global chemical notification and reporting for TSCA, WEEE, RoHS and REACH certificates of compliance and other applicable product compliance requirements.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Authors all sections of the SDS for NuSil products, according to specific country requirements where the products will be sold;
2. Conducts the review and update of SDS for existing US products and works collaboratively with other global authors when changes impact more than one area/country;
3. Utilizes technical information obtained through various web and library references in addition to internal information from colleagues at R&D and EHS to develop and maintain the master data in the SAP module (which serves as a centralized database for product information);
4. Determines the EHS product safety information that is required on the labels according to GHS and other applicable regulations;
5. Implements processes for a proactive Product Stewardship Program (PSP) encompassing global regulatory surveillance and anticipating regulations and requirements that may affect the distribution and sale of NuSil products;
6. Responsible for global chemical notification and reporting WEEE, RoHS, REACH Certificates of Compliance, dangerous good regulations, regulated substances, and applicable product compliance requirements;
7. Provide technical advice to distribution, customer care and forwarders responding to questions related to transport classification, marking and segregation of dangerous goods;
8. Serves as a point of contact for customer inquiries regarding hazard communication;
9. Acts as a technical resource to the business including completion of customer surveys and queries related to SDS;
10. Updates SAP to reflect changes to EPA TSCA inventory including flags for sections 12(b), 4, 5, 6 and SNURS;
11. Monitors EPA Federal register for promulgations or modification that apply to Avantor for Comprehensive Assessment information(CAIR) and Preliminary Assessment Information Rules (PAIR);
12. Communicates to R&T TSCA coordinator/site TSCA coordinators
13. Partners with Trade Compliance, EHS, Global Operations, Legal and Business Leaders regarding appropriate procedures
for regulatory compliance evaluation and risk mitigation for NuSil products, current and new, in all market countries;
14. Responsible for maintaining quality within the scope of the job description;
15. Performs other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
BS in Chemistry, ChE, Environmental Science or equivalent technical degree. Polymer Chemistry knowledge preferred.
Minimum three (3) years of experience in chemical manufacturing environment with key responsibilities for product stewardship, EHS or regulatory compliance with two (2) years associated with the authoring and development of Safety Data Sheets a must. Knowledge of current regulations impacting SDS requirements worldwide: REACH, CLP, GHS, etc.
Working experience with TSCA and REACH preferred
Experience with the EH&S module of SAP preferred
Hazardous Materials certification on the three (3) modes of transportation preferred
Must display effective problem-solving, project management, critical thinking and development skills . Demonstrates a strong drive for results. Effective oral and written communications skills, especially across multiple disciplines and organizations . Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision. Attention to detail. Competency in computer/software tools