The Manager - EHS is responsible for maintaining compliance with and advancing safety, health, and security policies/programs to ensure that the facility continues to operate effectively in a highly regulated environment. He/she ensures that the facility remains viable, supports the business direction and is viewed as a positive community citizen, providing a safe work environment for our employees and neighbors.
The Manager - EHS leads a team of EHS professionals in the implementation of environmental, safety, health and security policies and systems at the Carpinteria facility, with additional oversight of facilities in Santa Paula, Chino, and Texas. They will ensure that the facilities meet the intent of the applicable regulatory and corporate requirements while supporting the direction of the business. He/she audits effectiveness of policies and regulatory compliance and collaborates on continuous improvement actions. The Manager - EHS assists in product stewardship requirements and sustainability efforts.
The Manager - EHS serves as a member of the Site Leadership Team and sets strategic direction in collaboration with other Avantor leadership team members.
1. Manages a team of Environmental, Health, and Safety professionals
2. Acts as the plant safety process leader; accountable for providing guidance and expertise to all departments (chemical manufacturing, R&D, Engineering, QA) to ensure the workplace is safe and healthy and maintains compliance with all applicable safety, health and security regulations and policies via training, auditing, and enforcement
3. Manages/coordinates required audits of areas and systems to verify compliance with all existing safety, health and security policies; generates corrective actions as needed
4. Plans, develops and initiates policies and programs to ensure the safety and health of employees, contractors, and visitors at the facility and to conform to the requirements of the site’s health and safety management system
5. Manages the development of the plant safety, health and security training curriculum
6. Generates and maintains all safety, health and security records and reports required by corporate mandate or regulatory agency
7. Accountable for managing and providing leadership to health and safety programs
8. Monitors and coordinates the incident review process to ensure thorough investigations and effective corrective actions; includes timely reporting and closure
9. Conducts and documents the results of employee exposure surveys
10. Monitors and meets budget commitments in the Environmental, Health, Safety and Security areas
11. Integrates the work of safety, health and security to enable optimum outcomes
12. Performs other duties as assigned with or without accommodation
BS/BA Degree in Science, Business or related field required
Minimum of ten (10) years of experience with environmental, safety, health and security for regulatory compliance required. Demonstrated success in implementing safety, health and security management systems. Demonstrated project management success.
Experience with the following is preferred:
● California EPA
● Emergency Management
● Hazardous Waste Management
● Chemical manufacturing